Detoxification and Cleansing with Herbs
Rachad Atat, January 2014 ©
In our modern world, our body accumulates toxins rapidly from toxic fumes from vehicles, factories, chimneys, etc., to the excessive use of tobacco, sugar, and alcohol. That, in addition to the low quality food we consume every day, which most contain synthetic toxic ingredients like pesticides and additives . This build-up of toxins weakens our immune system and disturbs the natural balance of nutrients . Not only the food we eat is chemically processed, but also lacks nutrients essential for whole body functioning. We consume too much meat and dairy products, with little or no fruits, vegetables and nuts. This accumulation of toxins in our body affect not only our physical being, but also our mental one . Physically, our body feels exhausted, with accompanying headaches and indigestion symptoms like bloating, gas, nausea, burping, etc. to digestive problems like ulcers, diarrhea, and constipation . All this affects on the mental perspective with signs of fatigue, general debility, loss of motivation, depression and many others .
Fortunately, with the body’s magic ability to heal itself and with the help of specific detox herbs, we can cleanse our body from accumulated toxins and boost our immune system, in order to allow our body to better fight diseases and infections. Let’s take a look at some of the beneficial herbs in this perspective:
– Turmeric is an Indian herb that is known for its healing capabilities of the gut’s mucus membranes, which in turn helps set the balance of our digestive tract and strengthens our immune system .
– Dandelion is an amazing herb for digestive and urinary systems. It strengthens the kidneys, help with water retention and prevents urinary tract infections. As a laxative and diuretic, it promotes bowel regularities, supports bile production, where the bile transports toxins away of the body. In addition it assists in restoring and protecting the liver function [2, 4].
– Milk Thistle is an herb best known to aid the liver regenerating its cells and detoxifying it. It helps in bile production, improving digestive function .
– Black Walnut contains specific constituents that help fight harmful microorganisms like bacteria and fungus [2, 4].
– Cilantro contains specific compounds that bind to toxic metals which are then excreted out of our body system [2, 4].
-Wormwood can help the digestive system by fighting pinworms, tapeworms, and roundworms [2, 4].
– Alfalfa contains many minerals and antioxidants that help boosting our immune system and helps fight infections, stomach ulcers and stimulate appetite .
– Peppermint can help fight cold and flu, sore throat, sinus infections and thereby can be thought of a good lung cleansing herb .
– Eucalyptus helps fight bacteria, viruses and act as lung cleansing herb .
– Stinging nettles contains many antioxidants that help fight harmful microorganisms and reduces inflammation in body .
– Ginger helps in restoring digestive function by strengthening the digestive enzymes .
– Burdock root possesses antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It
supports the liver by detoxifying it and protecting against cellular damage. It is also helpful in many skin conditions like psoriasis and acne .
– Sarsaparilla is anti-inflammatory and can remove toxins from body by perspiration due to its diaphoretic property. It also helps the liver and acts as diuretic to excrete toxins from body through urine .
– Echinacea is an anti-microbial herb that helps boost the immune system and fights ear, nose and throat infections .
– Red Clover cleanses metals and chemical toxicity from our body due to its diuretic, lymphatic and expectorant properties. It is also helpful in many skin conditions .
I have heard many times some people asking a healthcare practitioner that they want to detox their bodies, but from their conversations, I could tell that they do not know why they want to detoxify their bodies or most probably they have heard this term from a friend and they want to try it out. I think it is very essential to talk to an expert herbalist or healthcare practitioner before engaging into any herbal treatment and to convey the symptoms or anything the person is feeling to the herbalist so he/she can offer the patient the best treatment that is suitable for him. In the end, every patient is unique and should be treated as such.
References Hill, M. (May 7th, 2013). “9 detox herbs that will make you feel like a million bucks”. Lifestyle magazine. Retrieved from www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/9-herbs-that-will-make-you-feel-like-a-million-bucks.htm  Aqiylaniys (June 16th, 2013). “Top 7 natural detox herbs for a deep natural cleanse”. Retrieved from www.naturallifeenergy.com/naturally-detox-herbs/  Healthy and Natural World (July 1st, 2013). “Herbs that cleanse and detoxify your body”. Retrieved from www.healthyandnatural world.com/herbs-that-cleanse-and-detoxify-your-body/  Edward, F. (September 10th, 2013). “The top 10 detox herbs”. Global Healing Center. Retrieved from globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/top-10-detox-herbs/
About the Author
Rachad Atat received his Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology in Saudi Arabia. Although his major degree has nothing to do with herbalism, he got interested in the field of natural medicine after undergoing an intense chiropractic treatment for his spine at the Ideal Spine Health Center in Eagle, Idaho in the United States that has changed his life. He is an Herbalist student at Heart of Herbs School pursuing his other dream of becoming a natural health consultant. His interests are in herbalism, aromatherapy, flower essences and nutrition areas, with passion for life extension research. Along with his passion to alternative medicine, he is currently a doctoral student in Electrical Engineering at the University of Kansas in the United States.
Disclaimer: For educational use only. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Educational programs are available through Heart of Herbs You can purchase Herbal Healing for Children and 475 Herbal and Aromatherapy Recipes